Monday, November 29, 2010

Film Review | Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part I)


These past few weeks have been extremely busy and packed full of things to do, so I am only now getting my review for Harry Potter 7 up. I have never read any of the books for Harry Potter, so I am only basing my review from the movies and their relation to one another. That being said, I'm going to go ahead and jump right in with the review. 

Grade: C+


Perhaps it is because this has been dragging out for so long, or maybe it is because the movies are not as exciting since it's the seventh one, but I was not terribly impressed by the film. Yes, it had really great special effects and most of them were used in previous versions, so I don't really think much of them in this particular one. I suppose that the story is what I'm not particularly keen about. I find it very pathetic that all of the wizards can't stand up to one guy (with no nose at that).

Personal issues aside, the film has a great score and excellent visual effects. The little elves seemed like they were there in the flesh. Of course, there was a decent amount of magic involved and some familiar faces. However, I just feel like this series has been dragged thin. There is something nice about being able to watch characters grow up on screen, but I think this is a bit much. I'll be excited next summer when the final installment is complete. I think that the tone will be a bit less dark and a bit more action-packed. This first part was very gloomy with several instances of desolate landscapes (but there are several amusing moments).

I look forward to the second part if only to end this whole series. I enjoy the films and they have a great aesthetic, but I feel that it is time for the whole thing to end. Maybe once it's over, I'll read the books. Have you seen it? What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me something good.